Tuesday 23 June 2009

Camoin on working at your art away from your easel


«Since my arrival (8 days), a marvellous period of sunshine and I started to get into it seriously, to recognise a little bit the character of this region, but today I have to stop, grey weather, I took advantage of this to visit around the village and I realised that when we look at nature while trying to make sense of it and to understand it in order to memorise it, we work as much as if we had brushes in our hand. And this is the only way to watch; otherwise you don’t see. »

Charles Camoin – letter to Matisse sent from the Hôtel des Lions, Martigues (Bouches-du-Rhônes) on 2nd December 1904 - in “Correspondance entre Charles Camoin et Henri Matisse” - by La Bibliothèque des Arts.




Additional resource

Wikipedia article on Charles Camoin






Add to Technorati Favorites





No comments: